Can I appeal an assessed value?

If you have concerns regarding your property valuation, you may contact the Assessor’s Office. Property owners can often settle disagreements at this level without filing a formal appeal. Any property owner who disagrees with the property value determined by the Assessor has the right to appeal that determination to a Board of Equalization comprised of an independent body of citizens that hears and decides appeals related to property valuation.

A petition for appeal must be filed on or before July 1 of the current assessment year, or within 30 days of the mailing of the notice of valuation change, whichever is later. You must complete an appeal petition; a letter or telephone call will not suffice. Appeal forms and instructions can be obtained by contacting the Clerk of the Board at 509-243-2060. The appeal process is informal and does not require an attorney. The property owner is required to submit clear, cogent and convincing evidence that the appraised value does not reflect market value. Statements that the Assessor’s valuation is "too high" or property taxes "are excessive" are not sufficient. Evidence should include sales of comparable properties, or information on conditions of the property not known to the Assessor.

If an appellant is not satisfied with the determination made by the Board of Equalization, an appeal can be made to the state Board of Tax Appeals.

Show All Answers

1. What does the Assessor do?
2. How are property taxes determined?
3. What types of property are taxed?
4. How is personal property assessed?
5. Can I appeal an assessed value?
6. What exemptions are available for homeowners?
7. How are my tax dollars being used?
8. How often are properties revalued?
9. What is the Current Use Program?
10. What are my rights and responsibilities?