Why Birth to Three?
We know that every child is unique and special. Sometimes our children grow and develop on track, other times we may have concerns with their development.
If you have concerns, your child and family may be able to access services to help. About 1 of every 8 children has a challenge with development that makes them eligible for Birth-to-Three services.
With early support, most children catch up with their peers! Families gain skills and knowledge to support their child's needs.
What Are Birth To Three Services?
This term is used to describe the services and supports that are available to babies and young children with developmental delays, prematurity, prenatal drug exposure, or a medical condition that could cause a delay.
These services may include speech therapy, physical therapy, and other types of services based on the needs of the child and family.
These services can have a significant impact on a child’s ability to learn new skills and overcome challenges and can increase success in school and life.
Benefits of Birth-to-Three Services
Research shows the first 3 years are a critical developmental period in a child's life that offer a window of opportunity that will not be available again.
- Early Intervention minimizes and, in some cases, prevents delays in development of infants and toddlers.
- It can decrease the need for?special education services?when a child enters school and increase independence.
- Children whose special needs are identified and addressed during these crucial years have a greater chance of reaching their full potential.
All children grow and develop in unique ways. Some experience delays in their development.?'Early Supports for Infants and Toddlers (PDF),' formerly known as Early Intervention, refers to the services available to families with children under the age of three who are:?
- not developing as expected
- have a medical condition that can delay normal development
- are for any other reason experiencing a developmental delay
If you have concerns about your child's development, check out our?Growth and Development Flyer (PDF). We provide a variety of supports for infants and toddlers that benefit children and their families. If you have concerns about your child's development you qualify to meet with a Family Resources Coordinator.
Birth to Three supports families of infants and toddlers with developmental delays or disability by enhancing their development and relationships both at home and in their community.