Board of Equalization

Information and Forms


P.O.Box 250,

Asotin, WA 99402

The Board of Equalization is a quasi-judical board that hears appeals from taxpayers concerning the assessed value of their property. Taxpayers can contact the board at any time during the year for information on the appeal process and appeal submittal timelines. You only have 30 calendar days from the date the Assessor's Office mails your revaluation notice to you to submit a petition to the BOE.

Once you receive your change of value notice and you have questions concerning the new assessed value, you should immediately contact the Asotin County Assessor’s Office. Property owners can often settle disagreements at this level without filing a petition form; however, a petition MUST be timely filed within the 30 calendar day window with the Board of Equalization to protect your right to continue researching the value of your property and be able to have a hearing in front of the Board of Equalization explaining your reasons, evidence, and findings to prove that your estimate of value is the correct market value.

Please contact the Clerk of the Board, Stacey Harman, at 509-243-2060 or for forms, information on the appeal process, and any questions you may have with filling out the appeal form or finding/submitting the required evidence.  The completed petition form must be timely filed within 30 calendar days from the date that the revaluation notices were mailed, or by July 1st of the current assessment year whichever date is later in the year.  You MUST submit a copy of your revaluation notice with your appeal.

Additional Information:

Asotin County Assessor’s Office

You may contact the Asotin County Assessor’s office to review your property valuation at any time during the year.  Value agreements may be reached prior to filing an appeal with the Board of Equalization.

135 2nd Street

P.O. Box 129

Asotin, WA 99402


Assessor Office Hours:

Currently Posted Office Hours

Washington State Dept. of Revenue

The Washington State Department of Revenue website provides extensive information on property taxes including links to publications, forms and applicable laws.


The Board must decide if there is "clear, cogent and convincing" evidence that the Assessor's value is incorrect

To file an appeal of the assessment of your property, you must complete and timely submit an appeal petition form to the Asotin County Board of Equalization with a copy of your revaluation card attached. A letter or telephone call will not be accepted as a substitute for the appeal petition form.

The deadline for filing an appeal is July 1st of the current assessment year or within 30 days of the date that the Revalue Notices were mailed by the Assessor’s Office, whichever date is later.

There is no charge for filing an appeal and an attorney is not required.

A completed petition must include specific market based reasons why you believe that the Assessor’s Office is incorrect. Statements that the assessor’s valuation is too high or property taxes are excessive are not sufficient. You should be specific as to why the assessed values does not reflect market value. Examples might include sales of similar property sold the year before the assessment date that reflect a lower value for your property; a recent appraisal of your property; or excessive deterioration of your property.